When You Really Hate Cooking: 3 Easy Crockpot Recipes
I attempted Whole 30 for a hot second in January. I lasted approximately 6 hours until I gave in to my brain’s begging for a mocha (hello, I have an addiction). My roommate, on the other hand, is killing it with some straight-up BALLER home-cooked meals, and I respect the bejeezus out of her putting so much time into cooking and for drinking her coffee black for an entire 30 days. What a hero.
Related: I’m not much of a cook. I don’t find solace in the kitchen, chopping onions while browning meat while mincing herbs for hours to a happily-hummed tune. There are about 27 things, IF NOT MORE, I’d rather do than cook. This list includes laundry. However, as an adult, I know that I must do the adult thing and feed myself. As an adult on a tight af budget, I know I must do the adult thing and feed myself food that I have cooked. Sadly, P.F. Chang’s takeout can’t always be my answer to “What’s for dinner, Ally?”
Enter stage left the crockpot—a gift from our dear Lord above for the cooking-adverse humans like myself. You literally throw foodstuffs in it, set the timer, and come home 8 hours later to a home-cooked meal. It’s like having your own in-house chef, barring the fact that okay, you do have to chop some veggies every now and then for it. BUT STILL.
I wanted to share three of my favorite crockpot recipes that are easy as pie (even though pies are not easy to make so, um, who came up with this saying?!), because we’re all in this whole “gotta feed yourself food other than pizza” post-grad life together.
Aaaand, a bonus for you...
Sign up for the rebate app, Ibotta, to receive cash back on purchases like groceries. Redeem a receipt in your first 14 days of registering and receive an automatic $10. In return, That First Year receives $5. So make a delicious meal AND earn money in the process. WINS ALL AROUND.
Time: 15 minutes prep, 6-7 hours cooking
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1.5 lb potatoes, diced large
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can tomato paste (8 oz.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Add the browned turkey, carrots, onions, and garlic to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, onion power, and oregano. Pour this mixture over everything in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours without opening the lid during cooking time.
- Enjoy, applauding yourself for the little to no effort that went into creating this deliciousness.
Time: 15 minutes prep, 6-8 hours cooking
- 2 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 2 cans ranch-style beans
- 2 cans whole corn
- 2 cans diced, stewed tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and chiles
- 1 pkg Ranch Style Dressing Mix
- 1 pkg Taco Seasoning
- Put all ingredients in crockpot and stir.
- Cook ingredients on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with grated cheese, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
- Say a prayer of thanks for the invention of the crockpot.
Time: 15 minutes prep, 6 - 8 hours cooking
- 1 lb ground beef/turkey
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Brown ground beef or turkey in skillet, then drain excess fat.
- Combine remaining ingredients with ground beef in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Eat with the satisfaction of knowing you didn't spend hours make something that you're going to consume in less than 10 minutes.
[Photo by Julie Bloom.]
Do you like free things? Us too. How about this free print of a dope J.K. Rowling quote in 3 font options? Yes, please.